After a visit to Kitchen Theory, you are guaranteed to leave with a new-found passion and enhanced knowledge that can be incorporated into the catering industry. The University Caterer’s Organisation is fortunate to have worked with Kitchen Theory for two years, providing invaluable learning opportunities to chefs from universities across the UK who have incorporated Josef’s methods UK-wide, enhancing the food experience for thousands of customers. For anyone with a passion for food, a visit to Kitchen Theory is essential. Utterly mind-blowing and unforgettable.
Our award wining Chef’s Table is a labour of love centred around a single goal: creating a multisensory experience for our diners that is incomparable.
Each evening we host up to 10 guests, who spend 3 to 4 hours with Chef Jozef Youssef and the team as we guide you through a journey designed based on our culinary creativity and ongoing research into the science of multi-sensory flavour perception.
Our experimental menu explores a broad variety of interesting ingredients, flavours, textures, and culinary techniques, yet at their core these dishes are simply delicious ingredients paired with beautiful wines and exciting cocktails. Drawing inspiration from Chef Jozef’s experience in some of London’s top Michelin Star restaurants as well as his travels across the world, the menu is peppered with references to classic European technique along with Japanese and Mexican influences.
The Chef’s Table is discreetly nestled away in an old Victorian warehouse in North London. With a minimalist open kitchen, gallery, screening room and study, our studio brings this experience to life with the aid of bespoke audio, lighting, projections, aromas, and textures.
A 10-course journey exploring how colour, aroma, texture and sound influence our experience of flavour. The event runs for one weekend a month at Kitchen Theory’s studio space in High Barnet. Over an evening, guests are guided through a delicious dinner that provides a fascinating insight into the science of gastrophysics and multisensory flavour perception.
The educational experience is a must-visit for anyone with a passion for food and will seriously make you think twice about the little details next time you sit down to a meal.
Having visited many excellent restaurants around the world, what they have managed to put together at the gastrophysics chefs table is something very very special. It is not just the food, but the show, the lighting, the theatre and the exceptional service and attention of Chef Josef and his team.
I won’t give too much away about how the evening works but it is a fantastic experience. Each dish was delightful with its own story. Even though some of the dishes were not to my girlfriend’s taste (She is not the foodie that I am), she still thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. It astounds me that this place is not as well known as it should be. Truly magnificent.
Congratulations to chef Josef and his team.
One of the most startling, mesmerizing and beautiful dining occasions I’ve ever had the privilege to experience! The combination of science, exploration of how our five senses define our eating experience, the sheer brilliance of the chef and his team in the menu is sensually brought together in a multisensory dining experience that delights, challenges and surprises at every course. Chef Josef and the beautifully elegant maitre’d Lulu create a sense of intimacy (just 10 seats) and wonder by using a clever science experiment as part of the dining experience that stimulates memories of your past and gets your taste buds tingling. If you loved the Fat Duck, El Bulli or The Araki, you’ll love Kitchen Theory! Decadent, fabulous experience – put this on your must do list for 2019!
This is an experience which you should absolutely try; flavours, you’ll discover, can be deeply changed if we involve all senses during our dining experience.
Youssef is cooking up a culinary storm with his experimental marriage of science, art, mythology and food. Book ahead, as Kitchen Theory is only open to the public on the last weekend of each month, and prepare to enjoy an entire evening of discovery.
Eating while listening to ocean sounds or while handling certain objects sounds like the ultimate in gimmickry, but throughout the 13 courses presented to us, the food really does speak for itself. I exclaim over the beauty of an origami pasta dish, and maintain that “An Education in Umami” is the best thing I have ever eaten. Youssef constantly uses the word “delicious” as he talks us through the courses, and his team certainly delivers.
When do the dinners take place?
How much does an experience cost?
- A seat at our public event is £180 per person. Booking a private event costs £2000+vat and is all inclusive for up to 10 guests.
What does the price include?
- Your booking for a public event covers the cost of the seat at the table and is all inclusive so please feel free to leave wallets at home. 10 courses (see a sample menu) and a beautiful selection of wines and cocktails are served as part of the experience. A non alcoholic drinks pairing can be requested in advance. The cost of a private booking is also all-inclusive. We charge by the evening rather than by number of guests for private events.
How long does the experience last?
- We always aim to go with the pace of the table, the dinners commence at 7pm and usually lasts for 3 to 4 hours.
Do you cater to dietary requirements?
- With advanced notice we can cater to vegetarian, pescatarian, shellfish free, gluten free and nut free menus. We try our best where possible to cater to other dietary requirements too, however, this is a highly conceptual menu so not all elements can be substituted. Please note any special requirements upon booking on the registration form or contact us as soon as you know them *at least one week in advance. We do not currently cater to vegan or dairy free dietaries
Is there a dress code?
- No, the chef’s table is a space to relax, socialise and enjoy an excellent multisensory experience supporting great food. Please wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.